[theora] theora 1.1

Charles Mason charlie.mas at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 04:12:13 PDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 6:34 AM,  <xiphmont at xiph.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 1:00 AM, Tom Sparks <tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>> what is going to be the differences between theora 1.0
>> and theora 1.1?
>> well there be a program that can transcode be between
>> formats?
>> what programs well support this newer format?
>
> The format itself is frozen. There are no format differences. The
> software implementation will improve without altering compatability.

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't there talk of modifying the bit
stream format at some latter date to enable further enhancements to
come from the Thusnelda work.

Any change to the bit stream format is likely to break compatibility,
so I am sure if the change is ever made its not going to be a decision
taken lightly.

Incidentally from the demo site the work on Thusnelda seems to be
really paying dividends. It would be nice to be able to try the
Thusnelda encoder in ffmpeg2theora as that seems to be the tool most
people use to generate Theora files. Is the new Thusnelda encoder a
drop in replacement for the old reference encoder?

Keep up the good work.

Charlie M