[theora] transcoding to theora from quicktime using xiphqt

Yorn yorn at gmx.net
Mon Aug 11 00:42:52 PDT 2008

Hey Nik,

The audio problem is mostly a linux system problem. I am not an expert on that
issue, but my experience is that in some cases, the sound card is blocked by
another application or maybe a soundserver. The java engine seems not to be
as flexible as VLC or mplayer, which can connect to a wide variaty of
different sound systems (alsa, oss, jack, arts etc).

Another point is the new skeleton, which is now used in the ogg media
container, which should make the container more flexible. A number of players
(e.g. the cortado player? and totem?) are not able to play these files.

An easy workaround would be to use the OggVideoTools to split and rejoin the
file:

oggSplit myfile.ogg
oggJoin mynewfile.ogg theora_*.ogg vorbis_*.ogg
rm theora_*.ogg vorbis_*.ogg unknown_*.ogg

Regards - Yorn