[theora] RELEASE: Flumotion 0.5.2 'Can Tomas'
arek at flumotion.com
Fri Apr 25 15:13:34 PDT 2008
This mail announces the release of Flumotion 0.5.2 'Can Tomas'.
Flumotion is a GPL streaming media server written in Python. It is distributed
and component-based: every step in the streaming process (production,
conversion, consumption) can be run inside a separate process on separate
Flumotion uses Twisted and GStreamer. Twisted enables the high-level
functionality, distributing components over the network. GStreamer, through the
Python bindings, enables the high-speed low-level functionality: actual media
Flumotion uses a central manager process to control the complete network; one
or more worker processes distributed over machines to run actual streaming
components; and one or more admin clients connecting to the manager to control
For more information, see http://www.flumotion.net/
To file bugs, go to https://code.fluendo.com/flumotion/trac/newticket?component=flumotion
-------------- next part --------------
Release notes for Flumotion 0.5.2 "Can Tomas"
The Flumotion team proudly announces
a new release of the development 0.5 branch
of the Flumotion Streaming Server.
Flumotion is a streaming media server created with the backing of
Fluendo. It features intuitive graphical administration tools, making
the task of setting up and manipulating audio and video streams easy for
even novice system administrators. Flumotion is released under the GPL.
After the winter release that was bursting with features and changes,
it was time to shift the development focus more towards stabilizing our
software and improving the user experience.
The wizard has been completely re-written to modestly just work and
not get in your way. The GTK+ admin interface has received a number of
improvements. One new component has been added and we didn't forget
about the existing ones, either.
Below is a summary of user-visible features. A full list of all closed
tickets can be found at the end of this announcement. Existing
Flumotion users are strongly encouraged to upgrade and report on your
experiences. If you haven't yet tried Flumotion, now is a great time
Features of this release
* The wizard has been re-written completely.
Forward, back, and random access navigation through the wizard
pages should now work better. There is now an option to
automatically serve Cortado in a web page. A shoutcast
consumer has been added. The wizard queries the manager for
capabilities, allowing add-on projects to plug in different
components and wizard pages into the wizard for producers,
encoders and consumers.
* The GTK+ admin now offers a new tab in the component view
providing information about the component's process (uptime,
CPU usage, virtual memory size, etc.); tooltips have been
added to a number of UI elements and also the status bar
provides more information.
* A debug option has been created that hides the scary debug
parts for the average user, but at the same time allows more
debugging power for the less easily scared users. It now
allows setting log levels for GStreamer and Flumotion on the
fly per component.
* New Dirac encoding component (also supported directly in the
* The HTTP server component can limit the bitrate at which it
serves files and can also be easily set-up to serve Cortado
* The FireWire producer allows selecting devices by GUID - now
it's possible to specify one of the connected devices, or even
use multiple devices if they are connected to different buses.
* The set of switch components don't currently work due to an
issue with the underlying input-selector GStreamer element.
* The overlay and composite components may generate many gst
CRITICAL log messages with the recent versions of GStreamer -
it is superficial and shouldn't affect their work.
Bugs fixed in this release
* 194 : no wizard page for mulaw
* 312 : doesn't sort PID and CPU columns correctly
* 379 : http streamer needs to check for twisted-web
* 593 : [gtk admin] exposes arcane info to user
* 692 : When a component is deleted from outside, the admin do not remove the component configuration panel.
* 704 : admin should have a summary page per-component
* 743 : failing to record from soundcard should give a nice flumotion error, not a gst error
* 759 : Flumotion admin component list is cleared when a worker reconnect
* 790 : [gtk admin] shows too many error dialogs
* 793 : Sad components sometimes need stopping twice
* 797 : "component crashed" info stays in the UI after component restart
* 801 : XML export of configuration isn't formatted nicely
* 806 : first stab at a component tab
* 810 : open recent connections dialog should have a sortable header
* 813 : New switch component doesn't check for new switch element
* 815 : Current client bitrate missing at httpstreamer UI
* 817 : open existing connection is broken in gtk admin
* 818 : Admin exception when failing to reconnect
* 820 : mood icons should have a tooltip in the ui
* 822 : Encoders and muxers should be pluggable in the wizard
* 823 : HTTP consumer page of the wizard needs to be pluggable
* 824 : Add cortado support
* 827 : [gtk admin] Redo the statusbar
* 835 : recent connections broken again
* 836 : __version__ breaks doc strings
* 837 : fails to build with epydoc 3.0 series
* 838 : Would like to disable doc build
* 840 : Pluggable components should be sorted different in wizard
* 843 : Improve error reporting in the wizard
* 844 : Add support for <wizard> tags for plugs.
* 845 : bouncer component GUI broken
* 854 : audio test producer wizard page doesn't let you click forward
* 856 : Add a function in bouncers to get its enabled status
* 858 : Add interfaces for the wizard plugins
* 859 : flumotion-command doesn't return after invoke if the component name is incorrect
* 860 : Rate control interface isn't sufficient
* 862 : component initialization API/protocol broken
* 863 : warnings in flumotion.test.test_greeter
* 865 : race condition when creating bundle cache directories
* 867 : wizard not working with firewire sources
* 870 : Soundcard producer has bad defaults
* 873 : when daemonising the worker, it cannot find the flumotion-job binary if worker was run with a relative path in argv
* 874 : add integration with documentation system
* 875 : flumotion/configure/installed.py.in creating the cachedir causes a bug
* 876 : httpstreamer should check for twisted.web
* 880 : Recent connections dialog should have typeahead search
* 882 : Labels should be left aligned, not right aligned.
* 883 : Add spacing between worker label and worker combo
* 884 : Audio & Video is not working properly in the wizard
* 885 : Keyframe frequency should be changed to "time between keyframes"
* 886 : Burst on connect should be explained
* 887 : Fix the Java check on the cortado page
* 892 : wizard produces wrong flow for firewire video and souncard audio
* 893 : Debug options are dangerous
* 897 : New documentation message stuff causes exceptions.
* 899 : SleepingComponentError when selecting a sad component
* 900 : Bouncer UI resort listener more than one time
* 901 : Inconsistent naming of Producer/Production steps compared to Conversion/Consumption
* 904 : Streaming with a cortado applet doesn't work, it gives 404 on the http streamer
* 906 : wizard complains about overlay without producer npvalid
* 907 : wizard shouldn't have worker combobox on the initial 'Production' page
* 908 : flumotion-command should support authentication and return an error code on failure
* 909 : wizard not working properly with firewire sources on different workers
* 911 : http-server components should be atmosphere components
* 914 : when overlay wizard page has a problem, it offers to go forward without it, but the resulting config still has an overlay component
* 915 : audiotest-producer does not check for the level element
* 917 : Add hour glass when waiting for wizard
* 919 : better logging in http-server
* 920 : file-server component not properly handling session end when connection is lost early
* 921 : dirac encoder
* 923 : Cortado should not be served on localhost
* 924 : setting component to sad in do_check doesn't prevent the component from continuing with init process
* 929 : Text is missing in overlay step for the default wizard configuration
* 931 : 'Clear All' fails to clear all components if more than one component in the atmosphere
* 934 : BTTV should prevent wizard from progressing when lacking channels
* 936 : disabling overlay breaks wizard
You can find source releases of flumotion in the download directory:
More details can be found on the project's website:
Support and Bugs
We use an issue tracker for bug reports and feature requests (requires login):
You can browse the repository of SVN code from our tracker.
All code is in SVN and can be checked out from there.
It is hosted on https://code.fluendo.com/flumotion/svn/
Contributors to this release
* Andy Wingo
* Arek Korbik
* Johan Dahlin
* Jordi Massaguer i Pla
* Michael Smith
* Pedro Gracia
* Sebastien Merle
* Thomas Vander Stichele
* Zaheer Abbas Merali
More information about the theora