[theora] More information on GSoC project

Nuwan Millawitiya millawitiya at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 22:39:23 PDT 2008

      I am interesting to do this project. I am a student of computer
science & engineering.  Nowadays I am working with theora codec to optimize
the theora codec for narrow bandwidth conferencing.  According to Saul's
and Ivo Emanuel Gonçalve's reply, this is an interesting project and it is
very useful.
      According to the Saul's reply, this can be done. (But I never worked
with the code of GIMP).

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 9:40 PM, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves <justivo at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks to Saul for a great response.
>
> I was the one who added that project idea.  Some back story:
>
> Last year, I used GIMP for a job and found a video encoding option.  I
> was pretty disappointed that one of the big free software projects
> considered it more important to support non-free video than our
> Theora.
>
> I asked around in the GIMP IRC channel, and the response was "we don't
> care about Theora.  no one uses it.  if you'd like to provide a patch,
> we may accept it"[1].   Of course I don't know enough about GIMP and
> the GAP component to do it myself, so I have been looking for a
> programmer willing to do it.  With no success.
>
> I threw in the idea in the proposed projects for GSoC to see if any
> student would like to take over it, and I'm glad to finally see
> interest.
>
> Saul is clearly the one who can tell if this is feasable, but my idea
> was to build a wrapper around png2theora.  So, I guess GIMP would
> export all data to PNG first and then pass it through png2theora and
> get a video file.
>
> -Ivo
>
> [1] actually their response was more rude than this.

Nuwan Millawitiya