[theora] More information on GSoC project

saulgoode at flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com saulgoode at flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com
Tue Apr 1 07:47:41 PDT 2008

Hello,

I can not speak for the Xiph.org or Theora projects nor can I respond
directly to GSoC issues, but I might be able to add a little
background to this discussion. Late last year I started to write code
for adding Theora encoding capabilities to the GIMP Animation Package
(GAP) but had to place that effort on hold in order to help with
updating the GAP to function properly with the newly-released version
2.4 of GIMP.

The GAP primarily uses libraries from the FFMPEG project for its video
encoding (it also provides an interface to AVILIB for creating
uncompressed AVI files). Since FFMPEG developers seem reluctant to
include support for Theora encoding, it would be best if the GAP
employed its own implementation of libtheora encoding (even if FFMPEG
included Theora support, it should still be beneficial to provide a
dedicated encoder).

Fortunately, the modular approach to encoding taken by the GAP's code
makes it rather straightforward to provide additional encoding
schemes. The maintainer of the GAP codebase (Wolfgang Hofer) is
amenable to such additions. He did express some concern about how
audio is to be handled but it is my opinion that it can be done within
his current framework to an acceptable degree. Currently, GAP audio is
limited to raw, 16-bit stereo in WAV files, and playback only
supported on *NIX platforms -- this should probably need expanding to
include VORBIS & SPEEX and to support playback on the Windows platform
(perhaps using SDL_Mixer as a cross-platform foundation).

Though I am, again, unqualified to speak for either the Theora or GIMP
projects in any official capacity, let me attempt to address the
questions posed in the original message.

> 1. Why GIMP need encoding support?

The GIMP Animation Package is proving to be rather popular amongst
animated GIF makers and, though this is not really the main target of
GIMP development, would seem to be one of the best free/Free tools
available for this. The interests of these users is to create
animations, and they are "encoding" to the GIF format solely because
that is the only popular way to share their creations. This despite
GIFs' lack of sound, terrible image quality, and disastrous filesizes
(for anything substantial).

Providing the alternative of producing animations (or even processed
"real" video) and publishing full sound, high quality video on the Web
directly from the GIMP would, in my opinion, help promote the adoption
of the HTML5 <video> element (especially with OGG/Theora as the
container/encoding). Given GIMP's powerful scripting capabilities, it
would be almost trivial to produce a plug-in which mimics the
functionality of ccPublisher and uploads the video to a suitable host
(e.g., archive.org), all from within GIMP.

In short, OGG support within GIMP will help to bring video to the Web
in a format that all can produce freely and enjoy without restrictions.

> 2.If you have any guidance in integrating encoding support for GIMP

The place to start is by duplicating the 'gap/vid_enc_avi' directory
'gap/vid_enc_ogg' and then editing those files to perform OGG encoding
as opposed to uncompressed AVI (you would also need to add some
definitions to 'gap/vid_common' and a couple of header files). You
would also need to create a new interface template for the dialog with
which the user sets his desired encoding parameters.

Audio might be a bit more involved, as the GAP's functionality dates
back several years and uses now-defunct tools. GAP's audio needs to be
brought up to date but the basic structure is provided.

> 3.If you have any defined format for the proposal

Someone with experience with GSoC applications and mentoring will need
to answer this. I am not really qualified to be an official Mentor to
this project, but I am quite willing to assist as much as possible
(and I intend to pursue this on my own regardless).