[theora] Marketing stuff

Aaron Colwell acolwell at real.com
Wed Sep 12 09:29:19 PDT 2007

I have issues with the following info on the page

   On the technological side Ogg Theora is well engineered for low-bitrate
   streaming. Its in-loop deblocking filter is pretty efficient at
preventing
   a distracting, blocky look of the encoded content. Thus perceived video
   quality usually degrades gracefully as bitrate decreases, much in
contrast
   to compression schemes still widely used such as MPEG-4 Part 2 (best
known
   for DivX and XviD), H.263 (often used as video codec for Flash video) or
   Windows Media Video 8.

In my opinion I believe that these claims are anecdotal at best. Has
anyone actually
done a true bake off between Theora and the codecs mentioned? Has anyone
done PNSR
vs bitrate or similar comparisons across a large and diverse body of
content? For
me these types of comparisons are far more compelling than a zoomed in
area of a single
frame where the deblocking filter happened to do a good job.

Don't get me wrong. I'd like to see Theora succeed. I just don't think
your going to win over a whole lot of people
unless you provide hard data that shows that Theora is truely a viable
competitor performance-wise with the other
popular formats. I don't think the touchy feely "I'm using an open
codec" is going to be enough. Making claims that
can't be backed up or turn out to be false will only hurt your cause.

Aaron