[theora] Fwd: Re: [Olpc-open] XO review & Theora

John Kintree jkintree at swbell.net
Thu Nov 15 13:08:35 PST 2007

As far as video playback is concerned, it seems to mostly come down to
how the video is compressed - although Gnash (the open flash player)
still has a ways to go to play flash media as well as the closed source
flash players.

For the Colingo activity and library, we've found it very difficult to
find optimum settings for flash and instead have decided to go with
Theora.  We've managed to find some compression settings that keep the
videos incredibly small with surprisingly good playback quality when
played with Totem.

Arthur Richards
Colingo