[theora] DebConf7 vidoe problem

Peter Colton theora at bissybox.com
Tue Jun 19 12:02:01 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 19 June 2007 18:02, you wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 12:16:27AM +0100, Peter Colton wrote:
> > 	Hello all again,
> >
> > I recoded the film that I mentioned with -pro but unfortunely the film's
> > video and sound sycro is still out.
> >
> > > I am having the same problem again with playing ogg video thats emcoded
> > > as -pro. The video stop but sound runs on ok.
> > >
> > > The ogg video is :
> > > http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2007/debconf7/lo
> > >w/07
> > > 2_Free_as_in_Market_the_misunderstood_entanglement_of_ethics_software_a
> > >nd_pr ofits.ogg
> > >
> > > I have not yet downloaded the full file yet.
> > > What i have done is recode the part of the file I have and it seems the
> > > play OK. the machine I am veiwing the video on as 250 meg of memory and
> > > its the same machine that I recoded the video on.
> > > When I have downloaded the complete video file I will encode it and I
> > > keep you posted on the results.
>
> Hello Peter,
>
> We're using a new dv-switching program that has been working extremely
> well for the most part. But there have a been few talks where the audio
> and video got out of sync due to a couple different technical issues.
>
> It's possible that the dv capture of that talk was actually out of sync
> before that encoding was made. or that some other anomaly caused the
> encoder to freak out.
>
> I forwarded your message to debconf-video team list. We'll see if we
> have time to look into it.
>
> -Eric Rz.

	Hello Eric,

I re-encoded the ogg video to -p preview and the sync problem is no loger.

I have had the same problem encoding a vob with -p pro, the video sync was out
but if I encoded the vob with -p preview. The encoded video was OK.

Conrad Parker:

On this mailing list ask me for a sample of the video that was encoded with -p
pro to check it out. Conrad could play the sample video on his machine with
no problems. Conrad all so check the video file to see if any thing was
wrong. The sample file was perfect.

If  I encode a vod with -p pro on my machine that as 250 meg memory.
I can not veiw the video because of the sync is go out.
But Conrad can veiw the same video without any problems.
The memory size on Conrad machine was 2 gig.

I can play the ogg video "Elephants Dream" thats encoded with -p pro with out
any problems and the all the test video files for theora play OK.

The video :	076_Knowledge_Power_and_Free_Beer

Which is encoded with -p pro

As the same problem that the sound and video sync is out and the video stops.

I bet if the machine that I play it on had more memory than 250 meg the video
would be OK ?

If you have time check out if you can play one of the videos that I am having
a problem with on a machine with 250 meg of memory. To see if its just me or
its a genral problem.

The idear I have why I can play some files that have been encoded with -p pro
is that these files have been encoded on a machines with a lot of memory ?

	Thanks for your time and your reply :	Eric

	Regards :	 peter colton