[theora] Theora in SVG+JavaScript?

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 05:26:31 PST 2007

Sam, please, stop right there.  SVG is supposed to become the new
standard for Internet graphics.  Trying to turn it into a bunch of
other stuff will not only not work, it will destroy the format itself.
 It's not just you, but a lot of people who are trying to do that.
Browser developers like the people from Opera and Mozilla are warning
against this, as well, so do consider my points below.

SVG is a format for vector graphics using XML.  It's not a container
format.  The most similar thing to SVG that you will find on Adobe's
proprietary shelves is .ai, the native format for Adobe Illustrator.

SWF on the other hand is not just a vector graphics format, no.  It's
a container format for vectors, ECMAScript, Video, Audio, and a
timeline.

I think it's insane to attempt to turn SVG into a SWF competitor.  It
just isn't supposed to be one.  And as crazy as it sounds, it's
probably easier to make Ogg do what you want from SVG, than the other
way around.  This is still crazy talk, but Ogg IS a container format,
and a streamable one at that.  Add some ECMAScript, some SVG graphics
and some Theora video, and that's probably the best solution to
compete with SWF right now.  That and Java.  It's easy to see why
Flash's everywhere.  There just isn't any real competitor for the SWF
format right now.

Hope that helps,
Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves