[theora] Theora in SVG+JavaScript?

Rayne Van-Dunem raynenamibia at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 13:03:34 PST 2007

Hi, I was just reading on Adobe
Flash<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash>and the components
which make it up: SWF, ActionScript, and FLV.

>From what I've read, SVG is competing with SWF as the format of vector
graphics in web design, while ActionScript is an ECMAScript like JavaScript.
Hence, SVG + Javascript can provide an interactive, animated, open,
non-proprietary web design paradigm.

However, FLV, in the way that it is usually applied, doesn't have an
equivalent. It is a video container format that is technically playable on
its own, but is usually (that is, in the case of Youtube), embedded in an
SWF+ActionScript file, which is then embedded in an HTML page.

So I've read about Flumotion's Cortado, which embeds Theora streams into web
pages via a Java applet.

However, would it be possible for Theora to be embedded into SVG+JavaScript,
then embedded into a web page?

I know that Microsoft is doing the same with their WPF/E thing (Expression
vector format+JScript .NET+WMV), so I'm just wondering if the same could be
done with Theora.

Thanks.