[theora] libogg subtitle request

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Thu Jan 11 14:27:23 PST 2007

On 1/11/07, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves <justivo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/8/07, Luis Gonzalez <ghempresa at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > But i miss one feature in Ogg container , i see a lot Theora videos of
> > Presentations , Conference and other talking acts , all with an average
> > quality (video and sound) but seeing these videos i realize the lack feature
> > of Ogg container , subtitle support.
>
> Have you seen Ogg Writ?  It was an attempt at creating a format for
> subtitles on Ogg containers.  I believe it's not supported or under
> development any longer, though.
>
> Ogg2 may end up supporting subtitles natively, but its status is
> quiteblurry as Monty is pretty much not working in it, which is a
> shame, because Ogg1 NEEDS to be replaced.

There's no current plan or ideas for an 'Ogg2'. There _is_ a libogg2,
but that's simply an alternative implementation for the existing ogg
format. Either way, libogg or libogg2, that's just a low-level set of
operations on the ogg bitstream. It includes nothing to do with
higher-level processing, that's not the intent of the library.

We've been talking at FOMS (in Sydney) about which of the existing
subtitle formats we'd like to adopt for xiph use - we don't want
people to use all the 40 or so different formats that are out there!

If you have concrete suggestions on subtitle formats, please let us
know - advice from people who are actively trying to do things would
be very welcome.

Mike