[theora] Newbie theora questions

Dan Barber danbar63 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 28 14:47:11 PST 2007

Learned Theora types,

I'm trying to build the theora source code using Visual Studio 2005. I'm
running into some problems that I'd like to ask if anyone else has
encountered and successfully defeated.

First, I've managed to successfully build libOOTheora and libtheora by
finding and building all the libraries they depend on. Now I'm trying to
build the decoder filter, dsfTheoraDecoder.

First question. In theoradecoderdllstuff.h there are two include files,
streams.h and pullpin.h that aren't in standard Visual Studio 2005. I have
included Samples\Multimedia\DirectShow\BaseClasses from the SDK for those
include files. Are those the correct versions of the files to include?

Second question. Having done them I'm down strictly to linker errors. The
project comes with a reference to strmbasd.lib, a library I can't find in
Visual Studio 2005 or the SDK. Is there another library I should replace it
with? If I remove that library reference I'm left with two unresolved
externals, DllCanUnloadNow and DllGetClassObject. These don't seem like the
kind of entry points that just would get forgotten, so either the library
strmbasd.lib is required and contains the missing entry points or I need to
build the project differently. I'm not sure which it is and would love any
assistance you can provide so that I can get the decoder building.

Last question. It appears from testing that the theora decoder makes a
fairly slow pass through the entire file when first preparing a file for
playback. We're looking at trying to play back video on a device for which
this initial time sink is unacceptable. Is that pass through the file
required or something that could be removed for a more streamlined version
of the decoder?

Thanks for any help.

Sincerely,

Dan Barber