[theora] FOSS Codecs for Online Video: Usability, Uptake and Development

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 12:55:46 PST 2007

I have read most of this paper when I first saw it posted on the iCommons list.

I would like to personally thank the three authors involved (including
Anna here) for writing and compiling such an extensive paper on the
advantages and practical uses of Theora and Vorbis, as well as
reporting what is the support status of players, browsers, and CMSs
across different platforms.  It is obvious after reading this paper
that the one area that is most lacking support for the Ogg codecs are
the CMSs.  Drupal and Joomla strike me as the most popular and their
lack for support of video will hopefully change in the advent of HTML
5.

The good news is that considering the good CMSs out there are mostly
free software, the community may modify them quickly and efficiently
to work with Ogg files.  And hopefully that will be the case.

-Ivo