[theora] This is a sad day for interoperability in the Web

Charles Iliya Krempeaux supercanadian at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 10:13:38 PDT 2007

Hello,

On 8/21/07, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves <justivo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/21/07, Hannes Hauswedell <theora.list at soulrebel.in-berlin.de> wrote:

[...]

> and a simple
> > convert-from-anything-to-OGG program for windows that we could offer, so
> as
> > to give less reasons of being turned down (maybe something like that
> could be
> > hacked from vlc).
>
> As I see it, we would like to offer a Qt4 application that would work
> on most operating systems with a simple drag&drop interface to convert
> files to our formats (Theora, Vorbis, Speex, FLAC, etc.).  However,
> nobody here is available to work on this right now, which leaves me to
> hire someone from outside to do so.  And we need funds to hire
> someone.

For the Theora case... It shouldn't be too difficult to do something quick
and dirty on Windows.

Use the ffmpeg2theora Windows binary... and create a C# GUI program that
uses "System.Diagnostics.Start" to run it.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.diagnostics.process.start.aspx

You'd need to add some drag-and-drop functionality and maybe an item on the
pop-up menu you see when you right-click on files (which is done with some
additions to the registry I believe).

However... I think one thing that is needed is seamless integration of Ogg
Theora video creation in the video editors out there.  (Like Final Cut Pro,
iMovie, Adobe Premiere, etc etc.)

This is the message I've been getting from artists I've been talking to.

Just getting this on Mac alone would go a long way.

Although alot of the people watching videos on the web are on MS Windows...
alot of the people putting out videos on the web are creating those videos
on the Mac.

I'd say Ogg Theora creation on the Mac... with seamless integration into
Final Cut Pro and iMovie is something to shoot for.

See ya

--
    Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc. <http://ChangeLog.ca/>

                 Vlog Razor... Vlogging News