[theora] This is a sad day for interoperability in the Web

Hannes Hauswedell theora.list at soulrebel.in-berlin.de
Tue Aug 21 11:28:56 PDT 2007

Thanks for the info!
I have problems of understanding tough. The Flash Player is proprietry and
non-open, how would it have made it difference if the internal video-encoding
was in a free format?
You would still have been forced to use Adobe Flash Player Binary to look at
it, or not? So we haven't really lost anything, because Free-Software-Users
where not able to look at the stuff before anyways.

What we really need to do is offer viable alternatives!! Xiph.org is doing a
great job programming but from a marketing Point-of-View things are lagging
behind.
Theora is continously released in 1.0alpha steps. Everyone from outside the
Free-Software world will take it as a sign of non-progress or
so-little-progress and alpha clearly denotes it as not-usable:

Quote from WP: "Alpha level software can be considered approximately 35%
complete, and typically includes temporary material and multiple
product-breaking issues."
- Is this really the case with Theora?

I am member of FSFE-Germany, we want to launch a compaign to make Public TV-
and Radio-Stations use free Codecs on their web-pages (at least in addition
to proprietry ones), since they are obliged by law to offer their content to
the "general public" (e.g. they are prohibited from encrypting their Digital
Signals).
It would be great if we had a stable version of theora and a simple
convert-from-anything-to-OGG program for windows that we could offer, so as
to give less reasons of being turned down (maybe something like that could be
hacked from vlc).
Also something like http://www.mux.am that can convert uploaded media and/or
media-files on the internet to ogg and offer them for download, would be
great to have embedded on xiph.org . mux.am can actually do this and they
offer "API-access for developers", maybe they would help...

Thanks!
Greetings
Hannes Hauswedell