[theora] Splitting Theora encoding into multiple tasks for Thoggen

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Tue Oct 31 16:38:02 PST 2006

On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 02:32:52PM +1300, Aaron Whitehouse wrote:

> This would result in a number of separate Ogg-Theora files that would
> then need to be concatenated together. It is my understanding that this
> would be fairly straight-forward, but wanted to check it with this list
> first. Can anyone see any issue with this from a Theora point of view?

David is correct that there are bugs in a number of popular players'
handling of concatenated streams, although this is required by the spec.

You can help us encourage them to fix that (if nothing else, it's an
obvious way to do chapters) but in the meantime, since you're in control
of the encoding you can also work around the issue. Assuming each
portion is encoded with the same parameters, you can strip the headers
from subsequent pieces and remux the stream into a single segment.

I believe Andraz Tori has already written such a thing for cinelerra.
You might see if you can borrow from his code.

Keep us posted! :)

 -r