[theora] Extension .v+ogg does work

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Tue Oct 24 15:10:39 PDT 2006

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 01:53:10PM -0700, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:

> Hello Ralph,

Hi Charles. Bumping into you in several places lately. :)

> >From what I remember hearing (on the RSS Public mailing list --
> http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/rss-public/ )... the "+" thing was
> considered a hack.  And it was intended to be a one-time hack... only for
> XML.

Ok, thanks for the explaination. Interesting that the file browsers are
using it. I found a bunch of bugs where other software had to be updated
to handle the new type (as a literal, not a parsed description) but not
the original reasoning for it.

Note that we are using audio/x-vorbis audio/x-speex and video/x-theora
in the RTP payload drafts. That's a different container with only one
media type per stream, and it's important to know the actual codec, not
just the disposition.

> >  http://www.advogato.org/article/852.html
>
> I wrote that....  So... yeah that's a good proposal :-)

Haha, oops. Sorry I didn't recognize your nick.

> I also wrote this related proposal too...
>
> http://maketelevision.com/log/rss_and_atom_feed_auto-discovery_for_internet_tv

Thanks for the link. That seems a reasonable abuse for video rss
feeds, and I guess you could use media="screen" for slides, but
what do you do for audio?

> A free form typing system where defacto standard could emerge.

Yes, "folksonomy" tagging would work about as well here in practice.
Will be interesting to see if a standards-oriented body like the IETF
ever ratifies something like that.

> I don't know if any of these help with the MS Windows problem though.  MS
> Windows seems to be incredibly "dumb" when it comes to types.  And (in MS
> Windows) you'd probably need some other system to figure out which
> application to launch based on any of these.  (But it is something to think
> about I suppose.)

No, it doesn't help. The original complain is based on Windows
Explorer only associating applications with file extensions. The
problem is much more tractible if you can do even file magic
identification. I don't know if they've tried to address this in vista.

In the past we've suggested writing a dispatcher application to handle
this: associate it with the .ogg extension, and it checks the file and
opens the app of choice. Supposedly someone wrote such a thing (called
Ogg Prak) but we don't have the source. It may have been vapourware.

  http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t2602.html

 -r