[theora] OLPC project

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Oct 9 14:02:13 PDT 2006

On 10/9/06, Ralph Giles <giles at xiph.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 11:24:13AM -0700, John Kintree wrote:
>
> > The One Laptop Per Child project is now including a digital camera in the design of their "$100" laptop computer.  According to their latest news, this device will record video at 30 fps and at VGA resolution.  Also, the OLPC project is considering using content from WikiMedia, and video files at WikiMedia are stored in ogg theora format.  Have folks involved in the OLPC project communicated with people at Xiph about supporting development of theora?  It looks like OLPC is well funded, and would be in a position to do that.

I work in the same group at RedHat as Chris Blizzard of OLPC and talk
to him most days.  Yes, it has come up and the OLPC group has done
some amount of Theora testing looking toward OLPC.  The problem boils
down to CPU performance of theora which slightly outstips the OLPC in
decode and is much worse yet at encode.

Monty