[theora] Can I recommend theora to my readers yet? Please?

Keith Richie disturbed1976 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 10:40:26 PDT 2006

On 6/23/06, Philip Heron <theora.list at firestorm.cx> wrote:
> Hi Thomas!
>
> On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 09:49 -0500, Thomas Boutell wrote:
> > * Embedded in Internet Explorer, Firefox or Safari...
> > * On Windows, Linux or MacOS X (as appropriate, with both
> >    IE and Firefox being critical on Windows).
>
> I had great success using the Flumotion's Java applet Cortado this year
> to stream live video and audio from a nestbox camera. Worked like a charm!
>
> http://www.flumotion.net/cortado/
>
> I wasn't able to test it on OS X, but it worked almost everywhere else.
> (The exception being x86_64 linux -- Sun seem unable or unwilling to
> make a Java plugin there)
>
> -Phil <phil at firestorm.cx>

There are many decoders on Windows for theora, the easiest for embeded
playback in webpages might be to use WMP and Illiminable or Radlight
or Fluendo for directshow or The Helix player (by Real) also has web
plugins. There is also a plugin for the RealPlayer itself.

On Linux with Firefox, Totem's plugin using both the GStreamer and
Xine backend works fine, as does VLC and Mplayer.

Links on the information above
http://stream.fluendo.com/demo/office/audiovideo/auto.php
https://helixcommunity.org/projects/xiph/
http://www.illiminable.com/ogg/