[theora] New around - some questions (Cortado, editing Theora)

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Tue Jul 4 19:52:54 PDT 2006

On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 08:08:47PM -0400, Fabian Rodriguez wrote:

> I am maintaining different resources related to Ogg Theora, both as a
> user and as a contributor to several local advocacy groups.

Cool. When you get something you're reasonably happy with send me a
blurb and I'll post a link on theora.org.

> - Who should I ask / talk to about financing improvements to the Cortado
> applet (namely: bigger / more visible controls for the seek functions) ?

Christian Schaller <christian at fluendo.com> is the one to talk to.
'Uraeus' on irc. Note that for bigger controls I'd still suggest
being able to talk to cortado from javascript. Then you can easily
make things look however you want through external scripting. But
lots of other things would also be nice.

> - Are there any simple Ogg Theora editing tools or applications, similar
> to avidemux under Gnu/Linux ?

There's nothing theora-specific, aside from Andy Wingo's clip trimmer[1]
and nothing quite like avidemux either.

For general editing the best thing is to use a general tool and then
either export to theora, or export to a high bitrate master (like dv)
and run that through ffmpeg2theora.

Free software video editors are cinelarra[2], kino[3], pitivi[3], and
diva[4], in order of rough age and maturity. They all have theora export
support.

HTH,
 -r

[1] http://wingolog.org/archives/2006/05/26/tape-ate-the-player