[theora] Ready for real use?

Douglas Gore douglas at imagitech.co.uk
Wed Aug 30 08:58:09 PDT 2006

Hi all,

I've been following Theora's progress for a while as the company I work
for is looking at replacing the use of the MPEG1 codec with a royalty
free alternative. I have evaluated Theora and I think in its current
state it is quite close to doing to job as oppose to Dirac which still
has a very long way to go.

What I would like to ask is how far from 1.0 is Theora? I see periodic
updates here and there and in my own tests using the last illuminable
DirectShow filters release from February (which is quite dated now) it
seemed close to usable with the only critical bug being that it didn't
work under Windows 9x. As we are a commercial software producer we're a
bit nervous about using alpha software but if there is a chance it could
be finalised in the next year we'd be very interesting in using Theora.

Keep up the good work guys,

Doug