[theora] trying to encode/decode videos using libtheora

Ribamar Santarosa de Sousa ribamar.santarosa at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 18:26:32 PDT 2006

I'm  trying to learn how to use libtheora but I'm having some
problems:

I believe to have encoded a video, but I can't decode it. I've
tried 2 things: to record a .ogg file and to write a libtheora
decoder, using the encoded ogg_packets present in memory.

The source code is here:
http://opensvn.csie.org/ribamar/projects/streaming/cvaenc.c
(it has a makefile in
http://opensvn.csie.org/ribamar/projects/streaming/Makefile
and requires highgui and opencv to compile, in debian and ubuntu
with universe it must be trivial to install them with
apt-get install libhighgui-dev  libcv-dev)

1) generating the ogg files:
./cvaenc > a.ogg

It generates this ogg file:
http://opensvn.csie.org/ribamar/projects/streaming/a.ogg

but mplayer can't play it:

Playing a.ogg.
Ogg : Warning found none bos page from unknown stream 0
Ogg : Warning found none bos page from unknown stream 0
Win32 LoadLibrary failed to load: avisynth.dll,
/usr/lib/win32/avisynth.dll, /usr/local/lib/win32/avisynth.dll
libavformat file format detected.
LAVF_header: av_open_input_stream() failed

2) trying to decode it by myself:
theora_decode_init(&ts, &thi) gives me a segmentation fault.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Ribamar