[Theora] Stream Test

illiminable ogg at illiminable.com
Fri Apr 7 21:54:30 PDT 2006

Also, you can't just compare the raw granule pos values, because they mean
different things to different streams. In vorbis it's a sample number, in
theora it's a bit different, each granule is 1 frame, but it actually splits
the granule pos field, such that if you imagine it being nnnnnnnnnnn ddddd ,
where n is the frame number of the last keyframe, and d is the number of
frames since the last keyframe, and the number bits allocated to d is in the
theora header.

You have to convert the granules to a real time, and compare those. Another
thing you have to watch out of when muxing, is the rules about headers and
header ordering, in that

1) you have to make sure all headers for all streams appear before any data
in any stream.
2) Your algorithm has to be able to handle the case where -1 is the granule
pos
3) theora bos header has to appear before vorbis bos header
4) All pages with header packets have granule pos 0
5) All pages with no packets completing on them have granule pos -1

Other things to watch for especially if the stream is generated on the fly,
because the pages have to be in order, you have to make sure that any
streams that are providing pages have at least one page, or they are at the
end of stream. Otherwise if one stream generates data faster than the other,
and only one of two streams has available data then you have to make sure
you don't just write the page from the stream with data, since it wil appear
tp be the earliest page, but then when a page arrives on the other stream,
it's too late to compare it with the page you already wrote.

The exception being you have to keep track of the end of stream, since you
don't want your algorithm to block while it waits for a page on stream which
is never going to arrive, because that stream is already finished.

And also, an update from my previous report about wmp... since then i tried
a bit more and it crashed a few times, sometimes it did sometimes, but that
could be because the files are out of order, it's not as resiliant to bad
files as say vlc. Will try again once the stream is correct.

Cheers,

Zen.