[Theora] encoders

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Thu Apr 6 09:14:34 PDT 2006

Hi,

> Dirac immediately went for liboil ( http://liboil.freedesktop.org/wiki/
> )

To be clear, the dirac implementation being done by David Schleef went
for liboil from the start.  No surprise if you know who wrote liboil in
the first place.

>  and I was surprised that I haven't seen more of it for the Xiph
> codecs.

There are people for and people against.  Typically that makes it easy
to get to a stalemate :)

>  Not only does liboil optimise regardless of which processor you
> have, but it checks what your processor can do without user interaction.
> It also has the obvious advantage of centralising optimisation work.

This is one of the points that people raise against liboil.  Some people
don't believe the centralisation brings any benefits.

Personally, I'm all for it, but I'm not doing the work myself atm, so it
needs someone pushing for it enough with action.

Thomas