[Theora] Streaming Theora

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Wed Sep 21 23:04:34 PDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 12:53:24PM +0800, Zhang Yong wrote:

> My meaning is: <br>
> The sender encode the high quality video to a few sub-streams to cast
> on network thru p2p tech. Each sub-streams carries differrent content
> with differrent priority or quality-level of the video. The receivers
> receive the higher priority sub-stream first, maybe can not receive all
> the sub-streams, only some high priority sub-streams, then assemble the
> sub-streams together to the decoder. So the receiver can get variable
> vedio quality adapt to the internet bandwidth.<br>

> In this way, the sender need encode the video once, and differrent
> receivers get differrent quality according to its network status.<br>

Yes, this is clear. Thank you for explaining.

There's no explicit support for this in theora, and it's not obvious
to me how this sort of scalability could be made to work with the
current packet format. The design pretty much just assumes reliable
delivery. It would be an interesting area of research if you have
something to propose.

 -r