[theora] [Fwd: psnr/video codecs tests]

J.B. Nicholson-Owens jbn at forestfield.org
Tue Sep 6 10:30:21 PDT 2005

Jinamani Goswami wrote:
> I m trying to author a test suite for video codecs. Can you guide me how
> to go about it? I need some ideas to get started with.

Is it feasible to shoot some video, record it in an uncompressed format, and
then compress it with various codecs?

The video codecs comparisons I've seen all work from ripped DVD video.  While
this is interesting in a practical sense (it could be handy to make small files
out of DVD videos), I wonder if the double compression is a fair way to test any
video codec.  I certainly wouldn't want the results of such a test in audio
where the first step is to compress with MP3 and then to recompress with various
audio codecs, so I wonder if a comparable situation should be avoided for video.