[Theora] Licensing Question

Nick Hill nick at nickhill.co.uk
Tue Oct 25 02:07:50 PDT 2005

To answer this question, you must first consider how patents apply to
software.

Given that software does not have specific input and output materials,
patent claims can be formed which are entirely abstract in nature.

Where software patents are sadly permitted, such abstractions can exist
on a patent database and be pointing at you, but given the abstract
nature of many claims, you would need to consider every patent claim for
software in turn against your implementation to determine if there are
patents restricting the use of the idea. Given the abstract nature of
software and the claims, a database search will not necessarily yield
those patents pointing at you. There are perhaps millions of such claims.

Therefore, in a software patent regime, the amount of work just to
research whether you are using a restricted idea would be outside the
scope of almost any project.

Probably every non-trivial piece of software less than 20 years old is
in violation of at least one patent 'legitimately'[1] filed under the US
system.

There are many software patents filed in Europe, but all purely
software based patent claims in Europe are probably invalid given that
article 52 of the European Patent convention specifically excludes
software from patentability and the EP recently sent a clear signal by
shooting down the computer implemented inventions directive.

[1]As a democratic citizen, you may question the legitimacy of the
decision to allow software patents outside of public discourse in the USA.

Further reading:
Recording and transcript of Richard Stallman speech given in Cambridge
about softpatents:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/audio/audio.html#CAMB2002

An anti-swpat site citing many of the problems with software patents:
http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/

USA-oriented site researching support for innovation:
http://www.researchoninnovation.org/links.htm