[Theora] Other extension for Ogg Theora then "ogg"

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Tue May 10 14:32:25 PDT 2005

> I don't understand why people so completely ignore the installed base of
> Windows users.  There are huge numbers of systems continuing to use
> Windows 95/98/ME, etc., and even a couple years after longhorn in
> released, there will be thousands upon thousands of people still using
> their "old" 95/98/ME/2000/XP machines.
>
> As for Unix, well, it seems that GNOME and KDE filemanagers will work
> right, but for all the rest of us not even slightly interested in
> installing GNOME or KDE (or even users of those systems that prefer a
> different file manager), file extensions continue to be important.

I'm not sure who you are complaining to or about.  As far as I am aware,
WMP plays Oggs (whether video or audio) just fine.  We haven't neglected
anyone.  Or are you saying DirectShow plugins don't work for most people
for some reason?

A lot of people who want fancy behavior are upset that they may need to
do something special, and this is true on every OS.

If anyone is being neglected, it's the OS X users who still don't have
any good solutions, and to those users, I offer our apologies.  We just
can't seem to get the help we need from Apple on this.

jack.