[Theora] Other extension for Ogg Theora then "ogg"

Neil Morris neil at adm1.ph.man.ac.uk
Mon May 9 14:22:05 PDT 2005

At 15:04 09/05/2005 +0200, you wrote:

>Doing a simple Google search gives:
>
>ogg: 3,760,000 hits. Most links on first result page is about Ogg/Vorbis
>ogm: 1,090,000 hits. Several links on first result page is about Ogg
>oga: 411,000 hits. No links on first result page is about Ogg
>ogv: 106,000 hits. No links on first result page is about Ogg
>
> >From this I will suggest that ogg-files containing audio is called .ogg
>and ogg-files containing video is called .ogm.

But unfortunately .ogm has Windows specific headers which place it outside
the Xiph spec ie is it really .ogg?. I stream .ogg based material that
contains both Vorbis and Theora in pure Xiph .ogg and constantly come across
the confusion the situation causes ordinary users. Personally I'd like to
see the "hacked" headers of .ogm brought into the Xiph fold so that .ogg
and .ogm could be interchangeable and splitters dual purpose ie just like
Illiminable's. But I'd also like the uptake of .oga for audio only files and
.ogv for video only files as with the use of .mpa .mpv .

Just my 2<insert your currency>'s worth.

Neil.