[Theora] Other extension for Ogg Theora then "ogg"

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon May 9 13:28:56 PDT 2005

On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 07:47:10PM +0300, Alexander Rabtchevich wrote:
> When the theory doesn't correspond to the real world it's the problem of
> the theory, not the world. The file managers run associated programs
> based on their extensions, not the real content.

In your 'real world' not mine :-) Only windows believes extensions;
that's why you have all those lovely email viruses.

> So the real world is:
> the ogg extension causes *sound* player to run. And many people prefer
> different programs to play sound and video (me too). So the "ogm"
> extension is the real solution, whatever the theory says.

It's your computer, name it whatever the heck you want.  Except that
IANA and the MIME standards disagree with you so your web browser will
be eternally confused.

*shrug*.  Round 14 of this argument isn't worth the time it will take
off my life.

Monty