[Theora] Other extension for Ogg Theora then "ogg"

Alen Ladavac alenl-ml at croteam.com
Mon May 9 01:05:46 PDT 2005

Good news (for Walter, Alexander et al.) is that it is _you_ as the users
who decide how you are going to name your files. If using .ogg for both
video and audio doesn't suit you, well just use .oga and .ogv or .ogg and
.ogv. Or whatever you like. Hell, you can frelly use .ogg and .ogm, even
though technically .ogm is something else. Any Windows video player I tried
recently was pretty happy to play files with any extension, as long as there
are DS filters installed for it. It is only the matter of associating the
extension for the sake of filemanager.

Admittedly, it would have been easier if the real standard would specify
that. But the writers prefer status quo. So, a "de facto standard" is doomed
to emerge.

As Zen said, his filters will accept .oga and .ogv, so that's kind of a "de
facto standard" for Windows platform. (Don't know of some better way to play
Theora video on Windows, do you?) As .ogg is used for several years now, I
guess you can safely assume that it will have to remain as recognized
extension for audio files, but video files will probaly be either .ogv or
.ogm. Probably both will be recognized as video extensions in the end. In
our work, my colleagues use .ogg for audio and .ogv for video. Works ok.

Cheers,
Alen