[Theora] Other extension for Ogg Theora then "ogg"

Walter Vermeir walter.temp2005 at sol3.info
Sun May 8 15:23:00 PDT 2005

> 1. People are used to have different extensions for audio and video,
> as it is now. The average user just says "I don't use OGG because it
> doesn't support different extensions." even though this technically is
> wrong.

At this time the "average user" does not know about Ogg and if he knows
it will be about Ogg Vorbis, audio.  Because of the use of Ogg Vorbis by
Wikipedia many users are exposed to Ogg Vorbis.  It does not work. The
have to install special software. There are help-pages to inform users
how to do this. From the the point of view (POV)  of the readers that is
not easy.  But Jimbo (founder of Wikipedia) has stated that mp3 is not
acceptional because it is not free and Ogg Vorbis is the file format to
use.

So now Wikipedia and Co are spreading the gospel of Ogg Vorbis.  And
also, still very small, that of Ogg Theora.

But now it becomes more difficult. The files of Ogg audio and Video
looks the same. That is difficult to sell to the general public.  It is
confusing. It makes working whit the files more difficult.

Look at this page;
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Video

How to I know that is video and not audio?  The MediaWiki software gives
it an music icon.  Gnome  also.  If free open source software not even
can see the difference between audio and video how can an average user
see it?

OpenOffice.org has created a new open document file type.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument
"*OASIS Open Document Format for Office Applications"
"*The file extensions are .odt for text documents, .ods for
spreadsheets, .odp for presentation programs, .odg for drawings and .odb
for database applications"

That is clear. Users of files in that standard will have the right icons
and specific file associations.  When you find a file in a directory you
know what type of file it will be in a blink.

Instead of using the extensions ".odt" and so the could have used "xml".
So far I know those are xml files. But that would not be very practical
for users.

I find Ogg Vorbis and Ogg Theora is great. Even so great that I am
waiting to buy a "mp3-player" until I find a not to expensive
"Ogg"-player, what is in fact offcource a Ogg Vorbis player. The do not
have to pay for a licence but none of the budget player support it  that
the sell localy -:(

But I have the impression the choice for using the same extension for
audio and video may makes sense technicaly but is not a good idea from
the users side of it.

I will raise the issue on Wikipedia about this. If the community is
willing I think Wikipedia is strong enough to enforce a special
extension for Ogg Theora and set by using it so a de facto common
standard extension for Ogg Theora. But because following offical open
standards is also very important that is not very sure. We will see.

Greetings,
Walter