[Theora] Playback too slow?!

Alen Ladavac alenl-ml at croteam.com
Wed Mar 30 04:56:00 PST 2005

Ah, I see, so those options are for downsampling and denoising. Well, the
movies are rendered CG animations, so there is no transmission noise in
them. I guess denoising probably would not help, right? (Btw, I was wrong,
the movies are 640x360 in fact, because they are cut to wide screen format,
so that helps a bit.)

I've seen the Coda website and it is cool, but it doesn't help really,
because the playback will be done on a closed platform (Xbox), so we have to
use libtheora directly from our code. Btw, which codebase is that mmx
decoder of yours based on? Is that the mmx branch in the Xiph SVN
repository, or something else?

I just thought you were using some magic options I don't know about. So,
guess we are back to those peephole optimizations on the mmx decoder. We are
looking for the best mmx implementation to base our optimizations on, and we
are probably going to multithread it and pre-buffer about a dozen frames or
so, to smooth out the peaks. Any additional ideas are welcome. This just
_has_ to work 30fps straight, no drops.

Thanks,
Alen