[Theora] Theora and software patents

Ole Tange tange at tange.dk
Mon Mar 28 16:55:20 PST 2005

The list probably did not get this reply from D Richard Felker III.

Having read quite a few patents I tend to agree with Richard:  Software
patents are very broad and even if I have not read the source code of
Theora I would be surprised if it did not infringe several patents.

However, I believe the argument that On2 has not been sued for infringing
the MPEG-patents is a very strong argument. This indicates that you will
not be sued if you use Theora which basically is what people are
interested in knowing.

/Ole
--
The Patented Word Processor