[Theora] troll or truth ?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Mar 22 18:50:00 PST 2005

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 09:49:46PM +0100, Rakotomandimby (R12y) Mihamina wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was discussing on the mplayer/mencoder ML about transcodingfrom Divx
> to Theora. I got these kind of answers:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mencoder.user/280
>
> Of course I understoud only 50% of what he said, as well as I am not
> really used with codec and video glossary...
>
> But I generally understoud his opinion. What to think? I would like not
> to believe him, espacially when he assumes Theora is as "good" as
> MPEG-1... so...

He's basically just more emphatic about his heresay.  Some of his
basic facts are right, eg, "the Theora codec is in the same basic
family of encoders as MPEG4", but then to go on and say "so it must
infringe on MPEG 4 patents" is incorrect.

Also "It is based on VP3" is entirely true.  "It is nothing but VP3
with a different name" is not.

His logic only seems to make sense because you don't know what he's
talking about... on the other hand, neither does he.

Monty