[Theora] Video and audio not in sync

Nils Pipenbrinck np at inverse-entertainment.de
Fri Jun 3 10:38:40 PDT 2005

Sal wrote:

 > Oddly, "ffmpeg2theora mencoder.avi" doesn't quite work. It generates
 > a .ogg file where the video starts a second after the audio, so the
whole
 > thing is out of sync right from the beginning. But "theora-encoder
 > mencoder.avi" (avi -> yuv -> example_encoder) works.

If I'm not mistaken ffmpeg has issues with AVI files that contain audio
samples before the video frames. I haven't really tracked down the
problem, but it seems that ffmpeg discards all audio frames that are
stored before the first video frame (physical, in the file itself). The
standard AVI multiplexer does this to allow some prebuffering for the
audio stream. We just multiplexed the source AVI-files, disabled
audio/video interleaving and the gap at the start was gone..

Nils (not on this list, but I read on the web interface every once in a
while)