[Theora] Theora Optimisation

Colin Ward colin.a.ward at csiro.au
Wed Jan 19 20:26:29 PST 2005

   Hi everyone.

   I have ported Theora to Symbian OS and am now in the process of
trying to increase my maximum playback speed.  I have done a few
Assembly Language optimisations such as my YUV -> RGB routine and some
blitting routines, but they constitute such a small amount of the total
CPU time being used that they only made about 1 FPS difference.  I am
currently running 208 x 176 video at about 10.5 FPS and I am aiming for
about 15 FPS.

   Can anyone point out some routines which could be considered as "low
hanging fruit," which would benefit from Assembly Language
implementation?  From prior experience I would think that the Ogg
bitstream routines, the motion compensation routines and the DCT
routines would be a good start.

   I unfortunately don't have access to a profiler at the moment, which
makes it difficult for me to figure these things out for myself.

Colin Ward
Aida Senior Sofware Engineer
CSIRO, Australia