[Theora] unified meta-data handling ogg/theora/vorbis

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Wed Dec 7 02:01:45 PST 2005

> Hey all, I'm working on a media-database art project that basically
> stores a bunch of sound and video files, which are then navigated
> based on meta-data. I'm not sure where to start asking these,
> questions, here seemed like a good start.

> So I was thinking I should use an open format, like
> ogg/vorbis/theora. I also thought, will all that coll meta-data stuff
> in ogg I should be able to store the meta-data in the files and add
> the meta-data while recording. (or soon thereafter)

> Of course now I know that ogg has no meta-data, vorbis does. I can
> read and write meta-data using vorbiscomment, great! but that is only
> for sound-files. :( Seems theora has meta-data also, but its not
> compatible with vorbis, and it seems there is no theoracomment to
> manipulate theora meta-data.

Maybe Annodex/CMML would fit your needs (http://www.annodex.net):

  "Open standards for annotating and indexing networked media"

Anndex data can be inserted into Ogg-Media as a separate stream.  I'm
not too familiar with that technology. I have so far only used the ogg
muxer applications and the muxer library, liboggz, developed for that
project, which worked flawlessly.

regards,

David