[Theora] Theora, great stuff!

Richard M. Stallman rms at gnu.org
Sun Aug 28 08:12:54 PDT 2005

    Is how much a piece of code will be used the important factor in the
    decision? Do we just want to create code which is as widely used as
    possible, or do we want to write code which guarantees certain freedoms
    to the user.

Which of these goals is most important depends on the detalis
of the situation.  In most cases, I think the latter is more
important.  If someone doesn't use the program, we say
"That's your loss."

The Ogg codecs are an exception because we are also in a battle to
convince people to switch away from formats that free software can't
handle.  It is very important to us for non-free apps to support
Ogg/Vorbis and Ogg/Theora.