[Theora] firewire captured video

John Kintree jkintree at swbell.net
Wed Sep 22 05:05:07 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 21 September 2004 09:23 pm, Ralph Giles wrote:
> That's consistent. One of theora/vp3's 'features' is that it degrades in
> a blurry way, rather than a blocky way, which many people find less
> objectionable.

I like to watch video on my 17" CRT monitor at 1024x768 resolution in full
screen mode.  At arms length in full screen mode, the blurriness in a video
such as Mixtape.small.ogg is fairly noticeable; however, at a distance of
about eight feet (2.5 meters) the blurriness tends to disappear; it's near
VCR quality.  Most people watch TV from the other side of the room, at least
eight feet away, not at arms length.

The alpha3 version of ogg theora is really a nice piece of work.

In fact, in my opinion, ffmpeg2theora with alpha3 libtheora produces better
quality video than the MPEG2 or the MPEG1 codecs that come with MainActor 5.2
for Linux.  The quality of the libvorbis audio is better, too.
Regards,
John