[Theora] Ogg Theora: Some questions on codec interna

Gernot Ziegler gz at lysator.liu.se
Thu Sep 16 07:41:23 PDT 2004

Hejsan !

I am currently investigating new, more modern approaches to encoding video
with depth data based on my old data format MPEG Z/Alpha in
http://www.geofront.se/products_software_mza.php

and became therefore interested in Ogg Theora, as an alternative to MPEG-4
encoding - what I would need is two video streams in one system stream
(is that the right terminology in Ogg ?), and decode them synchronously -
the "problem" is that the depth stream needs to be compressed on wavelet
basis, in DCT it looks pretty awful according to research (but I would
still test it).

Also, a working colleague of mine has recently presented High Definition
Range Video Encoding on SIGGRAPH, see
http://www.mpi-sb.mpg.de/resources/hdrvideo/index.html
and he is looking for video format that is capable of encoding 12 bits.

Both of us are prepared to hack a bit inside the core of the encoder if
that is necessary and we get some code (_not_ coding ;) ) ) guidance from
the Theora developers :-)
(but I have to say that, at least for me, this is some loose idea still,
scheduled for some time after middle of January)

That's why I would need some more info on the codec internals, or someone
who can tell me how feasible this is - can you help me ? :-)

Servus,
  Gernot

--
O  http://www.mpi-sb.mpg.de/~gziegler | http://lysator.liu.se/~gz       E