[Theora] Slowdown on lots of motion

Stan Seibert volsung
Mon Jun 21 14:28:13 PDT 2004

<200406181229.17283.jkintree at swbell.net>

John Kintree wrote:
> On Friday 18 June 2004 04:17 am, J.B. Nicholson-Owens wrote:
>
>>I'm playing the "Honey" movie (both Honey-small and Honey-large) and I
>>notice significant slowdown during periods of lots of motion (when the
>>This suggests to me that I'm playing movies which require a faster machine
>

> When playing Honey-large.ogg on my machine it's kind of jerky, almost like a
> slide show.  The clarity of each frame is good enough, it's just not smooth
> video.
>
> My machine is a 750 MHz AMD Duron with 128 MBytes of RAM, and running Mandrake
> 10.0.  This release of Mandrake came with Mplayer 9.0, and I could only get
> the audio for the theora sample files with that version of Mplayer.  I used
> urpmi to install Mplayer 1.0pre4, and then I could see the theora video as
> well as hear the audio.

(Disclosure: I produced the Honey theora files.)

I also see significant slowdowns at the 720x480 frame size.  I have an
Athlon XP 2500+ w/ 512 MB of RAM and a reasonable HD.  It looks like a
theora decode optimization issue, which will hopefully be worked out soon.

So far, I haven't heard a report from anyone yet that could smoothly
play the large frame size files.  That's interesting to know too, and
partially why I wanted to get those files out there for people to test.

---
Stan Seibert