[Theora] Theora file extension

Jernej Simončič jernej.simoncic
Thu Jun 17 06:20:24 PDT 2004

<1087397268.3244.0.camel at otto.amantes>
<1205602105.20040616173638 at guest.arnes.si>
<1087463776.3244.7.camel at otto.amantes>

On Thursday, June 17, 2004, 11:16:16, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> Now you're telling me that the right thing to do is to rename it to have
> an .mp3 extension ?

No, I'm saying that I've seen a lot of MP3 files, which had the RIFF header,
but only a few of them had .WAV extension when I got them. I never said that
this was right, but it certainly helps identifying what kind of content the
file has.

>> And guess
>> what's the fastest way to assign a file type icon to a file?
^^^^^^^^^
> I'll tell you and it's not what you think.  The fastest way is either
> completely random or just use the same icon for everything.

I said specifically file type icons, not something random.

Why are you so against having separate extensions for (from the user's POV)
different files? As an end-user, I want to use program X for music, and
program Y for videos, and when I click on a file, I want it to open in the
appropriate program. Given how file managers work, it's the least hassle for
everybody to just have one extension for files that contain video, and
another for those that don't.

--
< Jernej Simoncic ><><><><>< http://deepthought.ena.si/ >
< for personal mail, replace guest.arnes.si with isg.si >

Nature abhors a vacuous experimenter.
-- Campbell's Law