[Theora] OGG/OGM media container

Nilesh Bansal bansal
Tue Jul 6 18:42:08 PDT 2004

Hi all,

First of all, Thanks everybody for replying(on theora mailing list) to my
earlier questions.

Here is what I understood, and I have some doubts, so please read on and
correct if anything is wrong.

Ogg is a container format, which is designed to wrap any kind of
video/audio. But, presently because of lack of developers, oggmerge
supports only MNG video(not even theora) with vorbis audio. But, specs of
Ogg are final and usable but it requires some developer to code that in C?

xiph supports ogg, but since there is no good tool to create oggs, many
people are using ogm.

Matroska, has a different philosophy (and will coexist with ogg). But I
wasn't able to understand what they mean by "High error recovery".

Suppose while downloading a file, after half the download connection
closes. I was easily able to play ogm, but with mkv i had to provide -idx
switch to mplayer to make it seekable (so ogm is better than mkv in that
sense). Simmiliarly what if while downloading file gets corrupt? I expect
mplayer to skip corrupt frames and continue playing.

Also, someone said mencoder can produce mkv files but I wasn't able to
find a option (I installed mkvtoolsnix and recompiled mplayer, but
mencoder -of help lists mpeg, avi and rawvideo only). No support for
encoding to Ogg(audio only) either (I don't know if oggenc provides a
library or not that mencoder can link to).

PS: xiph CVS is not working, it says connection refused everythime i try
to connect.

Nilesh Bansal
http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/nilesh/