[theora] Bitstream freeze

Maik Merten maikmerten at gmx.net
Mon Feb 9 06:53:50 PST 2004

Hello,

I´m just curious: How far is Theora from a bitstream freeze?

 From TheoraTodo:

"Derf has come up with a number of suggestions for improving the
flexibility of the bitstream based on his experimental encoder work.
These will be implemented, if not entirely supported by the reference
decoder, before alpha 3 is released."

Are those changes supposed to be the last adjustments?

Is the mentioned experimental encoder a tool to document the bitstream
format and for validation - or is it ment to replace the modified
VP3-encoder?

By the way: I lately ran some quality comparisons between current Theora
CVS and XviD with some VQEQ sequences. (after some exams I will perhaps
do a comparison webpage). I think Theora already delivers quality
comparable to XviD... so congratulions to the developers!

Maik Merten