[theora] xiph.org irc channels moving

Jeremy Nickurak atrus at rifetech.com
Sun Sep 28 09:43:53 PDT 2003

I'd just like to throw my 2 cents in here.

I can understand the need to drop a xiph irc server. However, I do take
issue with moving to Freenode. The reason that we moved so long ago (as
I understand it) is that an overwhelming flood of politics made real
vorbis discussion uncomfortable. A few people took things personally and
acted out, and pretty soon everybody was on edge. Just looking at all
three channels from the two networks now, it seems that this same effect
is already starting to return at the very mention of this situation
coming back to everybody's attention. On top of that freenode has a
history of technical problems (splits, rehubbings, dns failures like
that one they suffered yesterday), and political problems (accusations
of censorship mostly).

If someone can give me a reason to believe that these issues have been
resolved, I'd be more than happy to hear it. I just haven't seen any
evidence of it yet.

In lieu of that, can we please consider another irc network, like OFTC,
or Slashnet?