[theora] Free test suite for video encoders

Ole Tange tange at tange.dk
Mon Mar 24 08:37:09 PST 2003

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Christoph Lampert wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Ole Tange wrote:
>
> > On http://www.povray.org/ there is a picture from a street. I believe it
> > is artificial but I doubt you will find it too smooth and uniform.
>
> If you generate a _movie_ of this quality, we can take it. But I doubt
> anyone on this list could do that.

If the street picture is a true POV-Ray scene it should be relatively easy
to move the camera around. (Just don't expect the cars to move when the
light is green ;-)

We could ask the POV-Ray and the Blender3D people to make a competition on
that. I would imagine that some of them will be honoured if their work
became the de-facto test suite for video-encoders.

If we ask them then we should specify what such an animation should
include. What is hard to encode? What is really showing the weaknesses of
encoders?

--
If some genie offered you three wishes, would not your first one be,
"Tell me, please, what is it that I want the most!"