[theora] A comparison of VP3, and two MPEG-4 variants

Dan Miller dan at on2.com
Sun Mar 23 18:24:48 PST 2003

a couple points before I look at this too hard:

"For VP3, since you can't do a constant quality encode"

what?  that should not be the case.  Could be a QT-specific bug. Theora at any rate is certainly capable of doing constant-quality encode.  This probably explains your standard deviation complaint -- VP3 is running a rate control alg, where the other codecs are just shooting for consistent PSNR.  Apples to bears.

"VP3 preferred rgb"

very suspicious, as YUV 12 (ie planar YUV with U and V each subsampled at 1/2 resolution in both directions) is the native colorspace.  These sorts of conversions are a huge source of innacuracies on PSNR tests.

To be frank, it's great that you went to the trouble of doing this, but the only way to get accurate results would be to work with code modules that are provably devoid of any color conversion, rate control, non-standard quality enhancements (sharpening, gamma), etc. and so on.  In this sort of situation, where you have a huge architecture (QT) between you and the codec, I think you would be much better off relying on subjective measurements rather than PSNR.

And as a final note, PSNR is really a terrible way to judge codec quality.  Among many other sins, it completely fails to penalize codecs that stomp on frequency response rather than try to approximate the spectral nature of an image. (TBH, the present VP3 encoder is guilty of this, though a future encoder could be much smarter).

I could go on but it's late.

(++,) Founder, CTO, On2 Technologies