[theora] libtheora alpha 2 release

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Mon Jun 9 15:37:53 PDT 2003

At long last, we've reached the alpha 2 milestone. CVS is tagged
'theora1_0_alpha_2' and a tarball is available from the website:

        http://www.theora.org/files/libtheora-1.0alpha2.tar.gz

This includes (hopefully) all the format changes we wanted to get in,
so the bitstream format has changed since the alpha 1 release. Any
content you have will need to be re-encoded. Also we don't gaurantee
that it won't change again, so don't do anything permanent with it. We
expect to maintain backwards compatibility from the beta 1 release,
still to come.

In particular, we've removed the requirement that the compressed frames
be a multiple of 16 in dimension, and added a field to indicate the
intended colorspace for the video. Additional header packets have been
added for decoder tables and vorbis-style comment metadata. There have
also been a number of other refinements and api changes. There's also
an example encoder and player for win32, written by Mauricio Piacentini.

Recent CVS versions of libogg and libvorbis are required as these
changes are still unreleased.

Thanks to everyone who contributed! We all look forward to the next
release.

cheers,
  -r