[theora] Question about converting VP3 to Ogg Theora

Colin Mckellar c.mckellar at student.murdoch.edu.au
Wed Jul 23 07:57:42 PDT 2003

As I understand it the current plan is to make it possible to
losslessly transcode VP3 video to Theora video.

In my experience, one of the "features" of VP3 is it drops frames in
the event that there is little/no movement in a frame, or if "drop
frames" is enabled, to drop frames if the data rate is getting too
high. I understand that the way that VP3 does this in QuickTime is it
changes the duration of the previous frame. The Ogg format does not
allow for variable frame durations. What are the plans to reconcile
this disparity?

Colin.